Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Talking turkey

As most of you know I'm not much of a hunter. But every now and again I'll go turkey hunting with my #1 guide of 28 years..:) He gets more excited than I do.
As we left the house, this morning it was still dark. When we got settled beneath a tree, we could hear the owls hoot, the coyotes howl from afar and then the turkeys would gobble. Just across the draw where they were roosted, there was a lot of gobbling and yelping. There was also quite a bit of that from my hunting partner beside me. The sunrise was once again amazing to see.
We'd hear the hens do the hen talk, then the boys would GOBBLE.. I'd think..I think I feel a tick crawling on me. Be sure to close my left eye before shooting. My foot is asleep. My nose itches. Then all of a sudden out walked the hens. I knew the gobbler wouldn't be far behind because he was gobbling just out of sight. Then, I could see his bright red neck and blue head coming right at us. Ken said he'd tell me when to shoot.. My thought was; left eye closed...KABOOM!!! Funny thing when I close that left eye I hit 'em every time. LOL :)
Great morning sweetie pie thanks for the memory..:)

Ken said it was one of the biggest gobblers he had ever seen taken on Tarbone Ranch. Spurs were 1 1/4", beard measured 10 1/2" and he weighed 24 pounds. We love wild turkeys in every way, not least of which is on the table.

3 comments:

Hunter said...

Nice shootin' Mom. Good bird too. Now you have to guide me on a turkey hunt.

Angela said...

Awesome job!!! you have a good eye and a good guide.

Tanner said...

that's a big bird. Nice work!